Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Creating Energy


There is just so much one can share with scattered friends and associates. Especially those artists, writers & chefs whose work in these creative fields living-to-live within time constraints and work-day demands limiting us, alas, to a fond hello at the end of an e-mail response or forward. Though we must often watch their creative works from afar, success is a lovely adaptation of creativity and this is what inspires these of us, most ardent admirers, to follow.

I have a friend who paints and lives in Ireland and although the last time we met was at Hartsfield airport between her flights back (so that she could meet my two daughters, one of whom shares her mother's namesake) I still continue to follow her work. Her mother is her best advocate and has always kept us up to date with her gallery shows all over Ireland. When photos or cards of her work show up in the mail (or e-mail) to us, I must to admit to a certain excitement and energy that once shared in this fashion, I hold onto.
Local restauranteur, Chef Nason, from the Sapphire Grill inspires tastebuds. I frequent this Savannah restaurant about 6 times a year and am always left with something resembling an organic-orgasmic delight. Yes, I have my favorite combinations, though with his fresh and seasonal menu changes, it is not with regret that my last dish does not now appear. (Please read his bio from this restaurant http://www.sapphiregrill.com/). The compilation of ingredients and combinations are challenging, new and give reason to try next the Roasted ‘Ashley Farms’ Chicken & SoubiseHeirloom Apple, Basil Pressed Bacon, ‘Drunken’ Goat Cheese & ‘Anson Mills’ Grits or the Rice Seared Tuna ‘Mignon’, Forbidden Black Rice Grits, Cornmeal Crusted Eggplant, Red Chard & Black Vinegar Emulsion. Take your pick, though it is hard, his energy and artistry come through with every bite.

Visiting friends on the Sapelo River in Townsend, GA., I happened to have the opportunity to meet a great artist and now friend, Alan Campbell. Taking his easel and paints to a nearby dock to sketch and work there, I followed along beside him with my camera, a cooler of pilsners and our tour guide, Trouble, Boykin Spaniel-extrordinaire. While Alan painted in the perfect light of that fine late summer day, I wandered around with my camera shooting lots of stills. I would occasionally convene with him to share a thought or listen to his and at the end of that fine, late summer day, now back at friends house, we shared our work and encouraged, feeling energy for energy, the evocative association of creating in some splendid surround. But to share the nuances that went into what we did, though separately, this hand holding at the end of the day by and through discussion was good enough- largely, 'enough is as good as a feast'.

In our own disciplines, we work to create what is pleasing not just selfishly, but certainly personally, something that we are proud to be responsible for...these a few of whom I have been albe to share with on some level, and when the time permits, a focus; some energetic nod which I feel as an artist, is more valuable than a blank canvas.






No comments: