Monday, October 13, 2008

Soup- Good For the Writer's Soul

I have to admit that I read very early on- One of my favorite authors that made me giggle was -and still is- Maurice Sendak.
If you were fortunate to have read his Nutshell Volume of little books, you too may be familiar with (my favorite), Chicken Soup With Rice. "In January it's so nice while slipping on the sliding ice, to sip hot chicken soup with rice. Sipping once, sipping twice, sipping chicken soup with rice" Or..."In December I will be a baubled bangled Christmas Tree with soup bowls draped all over me. Merry once, Merry twice, Merry chicken soup with rice." And so it goes through the months of the year, always ending with the refrain...

Other impressions of literary associations with food combined with a childs imagination, may lead us to highly organic and sensory awakenings. Warning: If you read Tolkien's, The Hobbit, late at night, you may have found yourself in the kitchen looking for honey with warm, soft bread and butter-

Just think- what we can imagine, we can accomplish- what we create with words we crave- What can be created with food we write about in return. Though it took Sendak to evoke an image of a Christmas Tree laden with soup bowls, may we all create as vividly-

No comments: